Derby National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Derby Western Australia and you are invited.
As one of the biggest states in Australia, Western Australia has a diverse range of cultures, traditions and events that people observe annually. The region of Derby is no exception and is brimming with nationally or globally recognized annual events that draw visitors and locals alike. Below is a list of some events that take place in and around Derby
1. Boab Festival: Held in July each year, this week-long festival celebrates the unique flora and fauna of the region and the local Indigenous people who have called the area home for generations. The festival features parades, art exhibitions, live music, traditional dance performances, and markets.
2. Derby Mudcrab races: The Derby Mudcrab Races are one of the quirkiest and most unique events on the Western Australian calendar. Held each year in August, locals gather to watch (and bet) on the races, where small boats are propelled over the riverbed using mudcrabs.
3. Derby Bull Sale: The Derby Bull Sale is an annual event that showcases some of the best cattle in the region. Held in September, the event is a must-visit for farmers and cattle breeders who wish to purchase good quality livestock and attend seminars on animal care.
4. Kimberley Moon Experience: The Kimberley Moon Experience is a music festival that takes place under the stars in Kununurra and features some of the biggest names in the Australian music industry. The event is held in May each year and attracts thousands of people from across the country.
5. Ord Valley Muster: The Ord Valley Muster is one of Western Australia's most iconic events and is held annually in May. The festival celebrates the food, culture and community of the region with a series of events, including a gala dinner, air races, rodeos, music events and more.
6. Halls Creek Races: Held in August each year, the Halls Creek Races is an annual horse racing event that attracts people from across the state. The event features a range of activities, including live music, food and drinks, and a fun-filled family carnival atmosphere.
7. Gibb River Road Mountain Bike Challenge: The Gibb River Road Mountain Bike Challenge is an iconic Australian mountain bike event that takes place in the Western Australian wilderness. The event is held in September and attracts riders of all ages and abilities.
8. Holy Week Celebrations: The Holy Week Celebrations are an annual event that takes place in April each year. The event is an opportunity for people of all ages to come together and participate in a range of religious services and events, including processions and masses.
9. Derby Fishing Classic: The Derby Fishing Classic is a popular annual event that takes place in May each year. The event attracts fishing enthusiasts from all over the region to compete for prizes and enjoy a range of social events, including live music, food and drink stalls.
10. Derby Bush Poetry & Music Festival: This popular festival is held in June each year and is attended by poets, storytellers, and musicians from around the country. There are a range of activities on offer including workshops and performances.
the region of Derby in Western Australia is known for its vibrant celebrations of Indigenous cultures, unique traditions and breathtaking nature. The list above is just a sampling of what the region has to offer, and there's always something new and exciting to discover each year.